Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Give me 5...

One of the best ideas I got from the Power of Moms retreat I attended back in April was the idea to do High 5's for our family weekly.  It highlights good things the kids have done throughout the week and acknowledges them in a public, displayed fashion.

You can see an example of it in the picture above.  I trace a hand and then write something down for each family member.  We do it either at Sunday dinner or at FHE.  I present everyone with their award and then they go around and high 5 everyone. We cheer and clap for each person.

It is a fun way to reinforce the positive things that are happening with my kids and it also helps me look for the positives during the week (so easy to focus on what they aren't doing, instead of all the good things they are doing).  Instead of trying to come up with something on the spot, I have been writing down things I notice and then pick one or two to put on their hand.  But I do share with them the other things I noticed as well.

What do you do in your family to acknowledge the positive things your kids do??

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Funny you should ask....we just started using our whiteboard to write nice things about each other. Sometimes it's hard to say nice things out loud, so this gives them the opportunity. I like your high five idea too. We may have to do that.