Sunday, December 1, 2013

Master Builder

This beautiful lady is my husband's Grandmother Layton.  She is 93 years old and truly an angel on earth. We spent Thanksgiving in Utah with family and were privileged to spend some time with her.  She lost her husband of 60+ years 4 years ago.  I can't imagine being without someone who you spent most of your life with, it must be so lonely.  Her children and grandchildren who live close by take good care of her and help her out a lot.  She is still sharp as a tack and quite independent.

Grandpa Layton started a very successful construction company back in the 50's.  It has grown into a very large company.  Grandpa was known for his hard work, quality and integrity.  He was a master builder.

As we were talking with my mother in-law about Grandmother, my husband said, "Grandpa was a master builder of buildings, but Grandmother is a master builder of people."   It is so true.  Every time we are with her, she makes ALL of us feel that we are the most important people to her.  She always compliments me and my children and asks about their lives.  She REMEMBERS what they are involved with and what their interests are.  That is pretty amazing at 93, but what is even more amazing is she has over 60 grandchildren, and 100 great grandchildren and STILL does this.  She sends them all personalized birthday cards.  She is truly one of my favorite people to be around and I want to be just like her when I grow up.

I guess I better start practicing my skills of being a Master Builder of people so that I can become one some day.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

What an inspirational post. I want to be like that too! This little post resonates with me as I always say when people ask how involved I am with our business, "Mike's main job is to build the company, mine is to build the family."

Thanks for sharing the example of your grandmother (in-law).

PS-You should move to Utah! Your husband could work for Layton, and we could go to lunch!

Love you!

Unknown said...

I love Sister Layton, I felt so blessed to grow up next to them. I always knew that if for whatever reason I needed help I couldn't get at home they were always there to go to. They will always be super special people to me. Brother Layton helped me start my family by performing our marriage and your Grandmother was always the sweetest kindest example of humility and dedication. Thanks for the reminder :)

Sarah said...

I love me some oldies.

April Perry said...

I LOVE that title of "master builder." You are that way, too. :)