Monday, December 19, 2011

She'll always be my baby....

I have one daughter. She is 4 years old and pretend play and using her imagination are what she does right now. She is constantly in "play mode". She loves dress ups, her dollhouse but what she REALLY loves is baby dolls, I mean really really loves them, she has about 12 of them. She has such a nurturing heart and loves to take care of them. She sleeps with about 4 of them and tucks the rest of them into their various beds she has made for them. She takes after her mother in this regard as I loved to play with dolls too as a girl.

So for Christmas guess what she wants (may or may not be this exact doll pictured)? My husband has wondered out loud several times why she NEEDS another baby? Well honestly she doesn't NEED one that's for sure, but she is getting one.

The method behind my madness is this....I want to encourage her playing with dolls for a couple of reasons. First I am thrilled that she is playing with baby dolls and not wanting Bratz dolls or Monster High dolls etc... She is so little and will grow up so fast, I want her to stay as innocent and young as possible for as long as she will stay little. Secondly, I hope she chooses to be a mother someday. I hope her love of nurturing stays strong...she already has a "mothering heart" and I want to encourage that as much as possible.

So yes we will introduce baby doll #13 (or 14 or whatever the number) on Christmas day and she will give as much love to that dolly as to the others and I will love every moment watching her do it (and will most likely join in her play:)!

Besides, there's nothing like the smell of a new doll on Christmas...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

She is such a sweetie! I LOVED to play with dolls when I was young, but my girls don't share my enthusiasm.

Rachael said...

What a great girlie girl you have!! And BTW...I love Tangled. Its actually one of Oliver's favorite movies right now! Which is good...I could use a break from Toy Story 2

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

Cadence loves baby dolls as well. She has two little dolls that are all fabric but on Christmas I am so excited to give her a real baby doll. In nursery, my mom's and a babysitters house they have baby dolls and that's all she wants to play with while she's there. Now she will have her own. It's a Corolle doll with the vanilla scented vinyl. I'm in love with the doll and just like you, I'll be joining in.

Kath said...

Not sure I would make a direct correlation between doll playing and real baby nurturing. I never got into dollplay but NOBODY loves babies more than this mamma. Although there is NO doubt that Emma is a nurturer thru and thru.