Friday, April 19, 2013

What are your dreams?

Friday night at the Power of Moms retreat was called "Dream Night".  It was helping us to identify and maybe even give us permission to have dreams and goals of what we as the Person inside the Mom want to be.

Honestly my dream growing up was to be a Mom.  I played with dolls until I was 12 and have always loved children.  I got a degree in Early Childhood Ed/Family and Human Development and always knew my ultimate goal was to be a Mom to a large family.

So that dream is accomplished for me, obviously it is ongoing and while not always "dreamy", it is the best thing I have accomplished in life.

Honestly I hadn't  thought much about my dreams or goals outside of Motherhood a lot until I attended the retreats!  Maybe I felt guilty and felt like it was selfish, but that's not the case!  When I dream and set goals and improve myself as a person it is REALLY good for my kids to see that!  It gives them permission to dream and set goals themselves.  Plus I want to teach them that stretching ourselves and learning and doing new things is good!

So I am going to share with you some of my dreams that night inspired for me.

1.  Become a Power of Moms trainer:
 For YEARS I have been passionate about strengthening the family and wanting to find an organization that I felt was a good fit for me.  I have almost felt like it was a "calling" and when I found the Power of Moms I felt at home and have felt that I wanted to get more involved.  I think now is the right time for me and I am excited about it!

2. Writing:
I am going to write an article once a month and submit it to be published on Power of Moms.  Whether it gets accepted and published doesn't matter.  I enjoy writing, I want to improve and this is a way to do both. Plus being published is really exciting for me :

3.  Guitar
I have always wanted to play the guitar.  Why I never have learned? I don't know.  But that is something I want to do in the near future.  This goes along with my #4 goal because you can't play the guitar and not sing right?  I'm not talking electric guitar here people, I'm talking acoustic around the campfire :)  So step 1 is to get a guitar...anyone have one laying around?  I do know of someone who teaches guitar lessons, I just need to contact her (after I get a guitar), and see if I can fit it into my schedule (and budget).

4.  Singing
 I also love to sing.  When I was in high school I tried out for the show choir and didn't make it even though all of my friends did.  To me that sent the message that my voice wasn't very good so I didn't pursue singing even though I love it.  Later in life my 'mission mom' showed a lot of confidence in my singing ability and even gave me a solo part in a program (one of the scariest things I've ever done).  I hope to be able to take voice lessons and improve, this is probably one that will happen later down the road.

5. Traveling:
Someday we'll win the lottery so I can travel the world :)  But until then I'd like to explore our little world nearby a little more.

So there you go, some of my dreams.  I have a lot more, but those are my 5 that seem "doable" for the near future.

What are some of your dreams?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I am a big proponent of writing goals and dreams down and think it can be a catalyst to actualization. I have been amazed at how many of my bucket list items have come true I just one year!

Wendi said...

I have always wanted to play the piano well. So I've been practicing almost every day for the past 11 months. I've memorized 1 classical music piece, 1 Primary song, 4 songs from the simplified hymn book, and 9 easy piano songs (including "For Good" from "Wicked" and "Think of Me" and "All I Ask of You" from "Phantom of the Opera"). I'm working on learning a classical piano solo and three more easy piano songs right now (including "Any Dream Will Do" from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and "Seasons of Love" from "Rent"). I didn't do well with piano lessons as a child, but I'm learning now that consistent practice really pays off. My children quit piano lessons a couple of years ago as well, so I hope working on this goal of mine will help inspire them to try it again sometime also. :)

Unknown said...

Hi. Can i have your permission to use the "Dreams dont work unless you do" image?

chercard said...

Sure